Monday, April 23, 2012

A Peek Into The Past



So, since my first post was an introduction about me and I mentioned that I was an artist, I figured I better make good on that claim! I took art all through high school, so I spent most of those four years doing art projects that I really wasn't interested in.  Figure drawing, pottery and such just are not my thing. I don't like being told what direction I have to go in either! So, as an adult, I have played with many different styles and forms and found that mixed media is a favorite of mine.  I also like to make jewelry and other accessories. I get a lot of my materials from the oddest places. "Found Objects" you might say.  I love, love, love The Goodwill Outlet. If you don't have one in your area, start a protest! It has to be the greatest store ever. You basically rummage through massive bins of the "unwanted" donations that the stores don't take. Boy, they have no idea what they are missing out on!!! I have found some great vintage papers, fabrics, books, etc...and pay next to nothing for it because you pay for it by the pound! Anyway, enough of a plug for the Goodwill... :) I also acquired a lot of objects for my art from various family members, friends and so on.  Here is just a small sampling (i.e. I cant seem to locate all of my pictures, grrrrrrr), of some of the pieces I have worked on. As I, ehem..., locate more pictures of my work I will be sure to share. And please, if you see something you like and want to try it out for yourself but don't know where to begin, let me know! I am always glad to pass on any "industry secrets". But truthfully, I work by trial and error, and more error, and more error....and, well you get the picture. Art is always a work in progress!!


This piece was actually one of my famous "Trial and Error" projects, I liked the way it turned out so much, i ditched all the others and framed this one...NOT what the intended finished project was supposed to be though.


A broken and mismatched earring turned awesome (and heavy) ring




I actually made this for my daughter whose name is Iris. I printed an image of an Iris onto an old dictionary (it was in bad shape anyway, and then I hand colored. 
Mixed Media piece made with a vintage photograph, vintage buttons, vintage newspaper and then hand cut bits for the wings, legs and body...added a bit of sparkle with some glitter and aged the paper with ink.

So, as you can see, I am a jack of all trades and a master of absolutely NONE. But, I am good with that. Its fun to create and see what you can come up with. Sometimes I surprise myself even! Again, if you ever see anything you like that I post, please let me know and I can always post a tutorial! Hope everyone has a great week...until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment