Friday, May 4, 2012

Happy Fibro Friday! (And a bit of thrift shopping too!)

Welcome to my second "Fibro Friday"!  

This week has been so-so for me.  I've had a few good days, and a few bad days. But overall, I'm not complaining!  I received my TENS Unit in the mail yesterday. TENS is an acronym for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. For those of you that don't know it is or what it does, its a little device that has conductor pad thingy's (yes, that is the technical term for them :) ) that send a low voltage current between pads to stimulate the nerves.  


It's supposed to help with pain basically. Although, when you are using it, it feels like a tiny rubber band being snapped against your skin.  So, I'm a little iffy about the whole thing. Not only the whole rubber band slapping feeling, there are also warnings all over it about where NOT to place the electrodes because of the risk of..ohh...ya know...heart attack. The thought of purposely running an electrical current through my body, low voltage or not, is a little scary for me.

I tried it out for maybe three minutes last night. That was all I could handle after I accidentally turned it all the way to the highest setting and freaked myself out!

Aside from my little mishap last night, the biggest problem I have had this week is my hips.  They ache so bad when I sit for long periods of time. I hate the feeling too. It's almost a ache that feels like it needs to pop pain. Does that make sense?  I've been having trouble sleeping too, but that's nothing new for me. I also found, at the beginning of the week, that I started developing a patch of Eczema on my face, right smack on my chin. (Eczema has been linked to Fibromyalgia, in case you didn't know.) It wasn't the red scaly kind of Eczema, thank goodness, but it was bumpy and itched like crazy! How do I know it was Eczema you ask?  I have suffered from Eczema for years, so I have gotten pretty acquainted with its various forms.  Thankfully, I keep a bottle of Aveeno Eczema lotion on hand at all times. That stuff works wonders on my skin!

Alright, enough about the Fibro for today...it's making my back hurt just thinking about it! On a brighter note, I got to spend the morning with my nephew Alex. Dude is so stinking cute! I have the pleasure of watching him a couple times a month when my sister works at my niece's pre-school. Today was one of those days. Of course I take Zoe with me, and she entertains the heck out of him! She's crazy and that seems to make him extremely happy. :)

He is so special to me, probably in part because I always wanted a boy. (but I completely love my little girls!) Now, "dudeman" was born with a club foot, so he has really been through the ringer getting it corrected.  He was in a full leg cast for several weeks, and now he has these crazy looking boot things that has a bar connecting them. 
But I tell you what, those bars don't keep him from doing anything! He can crawl faster than the wind, and he can roll all over the place.  He definitely doesn't let it keep him down. 

Once my sister got home, we ventured South to my house and picked Iris up from school.  Then we headed out to a new little flea market that opened recently...can anyone say jackpot!  For the most part it was junk, but I did find a few things that were ridiculously cheap.  I came across five vintage tablecloths that were in great condition.  Now, if you like vintage tablecloths like I do, you know how crazy expensive they can be.  I have seen them in upwards of thirty dollars or so.  Well, this thrifty shopper paid a total of $5.50 for all five, together. I couldn't believe my luck!  Two of them are Christmas patterns, and those can go for a good bit of change on Etsy and Ebay.  


My next "treasure" was a vintage 1950's/60's Samsonite travel case.  Now, I just found this sold on Ebay for $15.00...I paid $1.49 for it.  Are you kidding me??? So, yes it is a bit rusty around the metal bits, but that just adds to its charm.  I am debating on what to do with it though. Keep it and use it to store craft supplies, display it around the house or re-sell it.  Knowing me, I will end up keeping it. I hate to give up a good piece.  
My last find was a vintage 1950's Androck flour sifter.  This thing is so cool.  I normally don't like anything with ducks or geese on it, but they just totally fit this piece, and I was in need of a flour sifter.  I found this piece sold on Ebay for up to $16.50 and I paid a whopping...wait for it.... .49 cents for it!





Seriously, I couldn't have gotten any luckier. The vintage fairy was on my side today.  I also came across some vintage magazines (another of my favorites to collect) and a Physics book from 1915. I paid .75 each for those. Not too shabby of a day. 

So, now that I have shared my most recent finds, how about you share some of yours...so I can be completely jealous! Well, I am off to make the kids dinner. (i.e. The Papa Johns delivery guy is here) I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 

And don't forget, shoot me an email just to say hi,  if you have questions or maybe a suggestion. Comment, comment, comment! :) And I finally added my email subscription thingy, so please subscribe to make sure you know what's going on!




No comments:

Post a Comment